Tips for School Backpack Safety
When considering the right school bag for your child, we recommend the following considerations:
- Consider investing in a high quality, two-strap backpack from a store like LL Bean, EMS, or Burton, with a strong warranty/return policy.
- Get the proper size pack for your child: remember: high and tight, small and light: the bag should go from 2 inches below the top of the shoulders to no more than 2 inches below the waist.
- A sternum strap is recommended; a waist strap is helpful.
- Bag should always be carried on BOTH shoulders.
- Child should carry no more than 10-15% of their body weight (see chart below). We recommend closer to 10%.
- Parents: empty the bag every Sunday to look for unnecessary items.
- Weigh the bag once a week to check for proper weight.
- Check the child before he or she leaves for school for proper wearing of pack.
- Check your child’s shoulder and head levels. If you think the child may be developing imbalances, have them checked by a family chiropractor.
What is your child’s Safe Backpack Weight?
Child’s Weight (lbs) Backpack Weight (lbs)